A few international organizations have advised their employees to be home today (Friday, September 14th) by noon. With the escalation of protests throughout the region and possible heavy protests in front of the American Embassy and downtown Tunis, security coordinators are playing it safe and advising their people to avoid the Friday prayer traffic flow.
As a security coordinator I know how difficult it is to make real time decisions with non-verifiable information. Still, it is very encouraging when your network of sources yields good intelligence that at least allows you to make safe assumptions and reasonable calculations.
Things can go very peacefully today after the Friday prayers or they can go in a very different direction.
Here’s what we know…
- We know that there will be a heavy security presence in key sites such as the American Embassy and downtown Tunis
- We know that there are scheduled & organized protests throughout Tunis.
- We know that Friday prayers end between 1:30pm-3:30pm
- We know that this isn’t going to be your typical Friday afternoon.
Here’s what you can do…
- Smartly evaluate your afternoon commute and evening plans.
- Smartly remember key items such as fuel and things you may need for a nice evening at home.
- Stay Posted & Share information…Turn nervous energy into good security awareness.
We will continue to monitor the situation and keep sharing practical & relevant information.
Remember folks, we are smart, informed, and flexible Expats….we don’t panic and we are security conscious.
Stay safe out there and continue to share good information.