Since several embassies have updated their travel advisories, we felt it would be a good time to share an “International Tunisia Security Advisory Summary” for the entire Expat Community.
- Travelers contemplating trips to the interior of the country should
assess local conditions and routes when making travel plans, as conditions
can change quickly.
- The U.S. Department of State strongly urges U.S. citizens to avoid
all demonstrations, as even peaceful ones can quickly become unruly, and a
foreigner could become a target of harassment or worse.
- While demonstrations have not been directed against foreigners, U.S.
citizens are urged to remain alert to local security developments and to be
vigilant regarding their personal security.
- While most forms of protest pass without incident there is the possibility of injury if you are caught up in an event that does not pass peacefully.
- Future demonstrations are likely and we recommend that British nationals avoid all forms of demonstration.
- It is reported that incidents of mugging, pick pocketing, bag snatching and petty theft are on the increase and you are advised to ensure that bags are kept close to your person at all times.
- In recent months, a number of terrorist agents were captured in various regions, indicating that extremist elements are present and that the conflicts in Libya and elsewhere in the Middle East continue to pose a general threat to the security of foreigners, foreign institutions and tourist facilities.
- Reports of petty crime, including theft, pick-pocketing, purse-snatching and scams have increased since the recent unrest. Ensure personal belongings are secure at all times and carry photocopies of identification and travel documents.
We will continue to search for challenges as well as positive security developments…